Thursday 19 April 2007

Analyse That...

As a writer embarking on my first feature film, the response from script writers/readers and editors in this response was encouraging.

Acknowledgement must be given to James Henry and Patroclus , who linked my post from their (well established) blogs, the script reader/writer Danny Stack read one of those and did the same…

In essence, this trail epitomises the power and potential of blogging. There is a flip side (discussed later), however, my experience of blogging has always been positive, and initiated contact with an exciting array of professionals.

The volume, detail and global spread of the responses was unexpected. In essence this was an experiment. I was left with clear evidence to support the idea that writers who blog form a unique online community that is articulate, interesting, and highly supportive.

The comments themselves offer valuable insights into writers’ perceptions of blogging, and its value as a mode of communication. The response could easily form the basis of further research. The results suggested many good reasons for writers to blog; summarised below, with a few examples to represent the range of comments.

Blogs can help with self-discipline, developing writing skills and offer a place to test new ideas.

“It's just good to write something as close to every day as you can manage, just to keep the writing muscles healthy.” (James Henry)

“I started a blog to support a book accompanying a TV series, then found I enjoyed blogging in and of itself…it gives me a place to explore random ideas that don't fit anywhere else, and has also allowed me to read some amazing stuff written by some very talented writers and humorists, both published and not.”(Lucy)

“I generally try to keep my newspaper stuff and blog stuff very separate. I'm aware that, as a political leader writer I'd get flamed if I wandered into the snake pit of UK political blogging, and I'm not actually a very argumentative type. I'm sort of superstitious about showing things I'm working on professionally to anyone before they're safely in print. There are exceptions. Sometimes I try out ideas on the blog…to see if the thing in my head is worse than half-baked or actually a proper idea. The only way you know is by writing it down.” (Rafael)

Writers are gaining work via blogs, and they offer a unique way to establish networking contacts:

“Potential work has come my way via the blog, mostly through connecting with other more established bloggers. One interesting development has been contact from some of the major newspapers in Canada requesting input or a write up for a larger piece they are doing. Again, all via the blog.”(WC Dixon)

Blogs can be used as an effective tool for self-promotion and marketing:


“It has a function as a publicity tool for my work, but I'd still do it if this were not the case, because it's fun.”

Blogs build a sense of community:

The unanimous appeal of blogging reflected in this study demonstrates that beyond initial self-consciousness, most blog for enjoyment. What sets blogs apart from diaries or notebooks, is comments; these open limitless possibilities to engage in debate, discussions or merely banter; invaluable for those who write. Unlike chatroom users, bloggers can formulate a greater sense of who is talking to who. Fictional characters can ‘play’ word games, writing related topics and ideas might be discussed, and the everyday can become surreal and inane.

Blogs are breaking and changing the boundaries of communication.

Every response offered insightful, thoughtful comments; all were from professional writers. There were no random replies; every comment was relevant to this study.

No comments: